Write Content that search engines find!
If you’re an online marketer, then you know that one of the most important aspects of your business is your web content and how visible it is on the search engines.
Whether it’s blog posts, social media posts, marketing adverts or e-mail newsletters if your website content isn’t up to par, then none of your other marketing efforts will matter and website visitors will remain elusive.
In this article, we’ll go over some top tips to help you write better website content so that readers can get more out of what they read and absorb all the information they need from a single page!
- Write Content That Search Engines Find
- What to do before you start writing your web page content
- Get your readers interested quickly
- Use a conversational tone
- Keep your sentences short and to the point
- Write in active voice, not passive voice
- Avoid jargon or acronyms
- Know what your competitors are writing
- Include links to other relevant information on your site
- Avoid spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors.
- Keep your website fresh and up to date.
- Advantages of using a professional content writing service
2. What to do before you start writing your web page content
Don’t be afraid to spend a little time gathering background information about the topic that you want to write about. In order for your content to really stand out and resonate with readers, it’s important that they know you’re knowledgeable on what you’re writing about and are not just making up stuff as you go along!
Spend some time thinking of different relevant keywords or phrases which web visitors may use when searching for information related to your topic. Good keyword research will help with writing headlines and optimising your meta tags (title tag) so that Google knows what topics is most relevant to your page – this will help increase SEO rankings within the search results!
If you’re unsure if what you’ve written is clear, it never hurts to run your web content past a few friends or family members and get their feedback on how they understood things. You may find that parts of your writing need to be reworded or clarified so that the subject matter can be better grasped by readers.
3. Get your readers interested quickly
The first thing you’ll want to do is grab your readers’ attention with a short and sweet introduction that will make them want to read the rest of your web content. A good way to start might be by addressing their pain points or what they’re interested in, asking questions, listing benefits or posing challenges are also great ways to hook readers!
Another Tip to foster interest from the very start is by using a compelling image. It’s important that you have an engaging, eye-catching image at the top of your blog post so they’ll be hooked right away and want to keep reading!
If you’re unsure how to find one for free online, we recommend checking out Canva – it has templates for social media posts and other website content which are perfect if you need quick images without having any design experience.
4. Use a conversational tone
It’s a good idea to use a more conversational tone in your web writing because you want your readers to feel like they’re talking with you. Use contractions and try not to sound too stiff or formal, so that the reader can connect with what you’re saying easier.
Don’t be afraid of using slang words or informal language in your content but keep it appropriate for the message. Don’t go overboard by making everything word-sounds casual though!
Be concise, clear, and provide context as necessary without being wordy. Short sentences are good but long ones can make a point more clearly if you feel it is needed.
5. Keep your sentences short and to the point
An example of a good way to keep your sentences short is by using bullet points instead of long paragraphs that go on and on about one very specific topic. Bullet points allow your reader’s eyes some pause from all those words while still conveying important information!
6. Write in active voice, not passive voice
Blogging is a great way to communicate with your audience. You can often tell who the blogger is by their tone and style in these posts. Some bloggers might be more informal or formal, others may use humour or sarcasm while communicating their message. Blogging allows people from all walks of life to share insights about themselves through personal experience and good website content.
7. Avoid jargon or acronyms
Jargon and acronyms can be confusing for readers who do not understand them as well as they might other words. If your content includes these terms, explain what they mean to avoid confusion among your audience.
8. Know what your competitors are writing
If you want to stay on top of your competition and keep up with the latest trends in blogging, take a quick glance at what they’re writing about. You’ll get ideas for topics that are trending as well as information about their business or customers.
It’s important not to copy anything directly from other websites without giving credit though – this is called plagiarism! When there has been an error when copying content, like accidentally repeating text or misspelling words, it can be considered copyright infringement too. If you find something interesting but don’t know if it belongs to someone else, do some research before posting it online where anyone could steal it!
Avoid writing posts that are just regurgitated versions of the same thing other people have written about in your industry – link out to them instead or provide new insight and resources for readers. *Don’t forget to include a call-to-action at the end – offer free advice or tips on how they can get started with this process themselves or ask readers what their thoughts were on an article so far and then give feedback back over social media channels using #bloggingcommunity!
9. Include links to other relevant information on your site
Use the landing page URL of a post that is related to the topic at hand, or mentions some new ideas for future posts. For example, replace “see” with “[link to a blog article about how to find images]” in this sentence: ‘See our latest news updates.’ You might also include an image as well as text by using something like ‘[image link] [text]’ in the place of ‘see.’
Tip: Include links to other relevant information on your site so readers can find more information if they need it. You might also include an image as well as text by using something like ‘[image link]’ in the place of ‘see’.
10. Avoid spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors.
Make sure your writing does not have any mistakes in it. A simple typo can ruin a whole paragraph and could be very embarrassing if someone comments on it!
Check your sentence structure, spelling and grammar before publishing! Misspelt words reflect on how professional we seem to potential clients when they read our content – so do not skip this step! Spell checkers like Grammarly won’t catch incorrect homophones (e.g., “there”, “their”) so pay attention to what you type too!
It’s important that everything on the page flows nicely together so try to avoid using two different tenses within one sentence. It might take some time getting used to but this will ensure your writing sounds natural and easy to read for all readers.
You don’t want things sounding too choppy because of inconsistency; sentences should flow smoothly from one another without stopping abruptly at semicolons or periods after each word like a robot would do with.
11. Keep your website fresh and up to date.
Have a blog section on your site, and post new articles regularly. This could also be in the form of video content or infographics to keep things interesting for readers.
Put together an email newsletter so you can send updates out from time to time that will interest subscribers such as recent changes on your website, special offers available only through the mailing list, etc. You may want to include internal links back to relevant pages within these emails if possible. Email marketing is still one of the best ways for generating leads and sales online! If this seems like something you’re interested in setting up, check out our ultimate guide here – [link] :
12. Advantages of using a professional content writing service
Using the services of a professional content writing team can be a great way to get more content for your website without having to do too much work. In addition, a professional website content writing service can help you create well-written and high-quality blog posts to attract readers.
The benefits of using an agency for your content needs include:
- You get access to more experienced content creators who have honed their skills in writing content that is engaging and ranks well on the search engines. Agency content writers understand exactly what will make your target audience readers click through from one page (or post) onto another, which pages should link back to other relevant web pages on your site. What the headline on the page should be, the use of subheadings and how many words are needed. What images would best illustrate your content to readers and so on?
- A proven process for creating quality web copy that is search engine optimised, clear in its communication of what you want a visitor to do (e.g., click-through onto another page on your site) and engaging enough with compelling visuals or illustrations to make visitors read it as well as share it via social media channels like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.;
- An increase in rankings due to higher content visibility;
- Return leads from Google’s ranking algorithms because optimized posts rank higher than those without these aspects incorporated into their creation; this means more potential clients can find you on organic searches – which will cost less money over time compared with pay per click advertising;
- A reduction in bounce rates (people who visit and leave without clicking on anything) because visitors are more likely to stay if they find the words you use easy to understand, feel a connection with your content and/or are entertained by what they read.
This list of writing tips is not exhaustive but should give you an idea of the many benefits that come from writing quality website copy for your business website or your own blog posts.
About Nettonic Ltd
We are a Bedford based Website Design and Integrated Marketing Company with over 10 years of experience. We have worked hard to build a reputation supporting local Bedfordshire businesses and national companies.
Quality content writing services and content marketing are essential for a websites brand awareness. SEO content writing looks to provide a balance between what human readers are looking for and the search engines
We’ve positioned ourselves close to London, but not too far from any point in the UK where we can’t easily travel. We love meeting our clients and potential clients face-to-face and offer a firm handshake.
If you would like to talk to us about how we can help with creating content for your website or any of our web design services please do not hesitate to call on 01234 261385